Monday, October 1, 2012

Kenny Chesney

Kenny Chesney is an American country musician and song writer. He was born in Knoxville, Tennessee on March 26, 1968. He is the son of elementary school teacher, David Chesney and hair stylist Karen Chandler. He has been honored with numerous awards from the Academy of Country Music(ACM), Country Music Association (CMA), American Music Awards (AMA), Country Music Television (CMT), Billboard Music Awards (BMA), People's Choice Awards (PCA), and the French Country Music Awards (FCMA). Kenny first got into the music industry when he recorded his first self-released demo in 1989. Out of the 15 albums Chesney has released 14 have been considered gold or better by the RIAA, including 17 number one hits on the  country billboard charts. After graduating from East Tennessee State University he moved to Nashville in order to jumpstart his career and performed many local shows. In 2005 Chesney married actress Renee Zelwegger.

There Goes My Life

"There goes my life" was the first single released for the album "When the Sun Goes Down". The album went on tow in CMA album of the year in 2004. The song "There goes my life" spent seven weeks at the number one spot. The song has over 12 million views on youtube. Chesney sings about about the news of his girlfriend getting pregnant. the chorus, There goes my life, refers to the freedoms lost now that he will be a father. As the song progresses he realizes having the baby was a great thing. Chesney sings about things that people can relate to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUw-cTYYQjw

"Never wanted nothing more" off the album "Just Who I am: Poets and Pirates" became the 12th single to top the billboard country charts. "Just Who I am: Poets and Pirates" represented a switch to a more gulf and western sound. With a number of  "breezy, steel-drum island songs." In specific "Never wanted Nothing More" is a very catchy song with a simple meaning behind it. Its a song about young love that turns into marriage. The lyrics: 
"My buddies all tried to change my mind
But I told them that I'd thought it through
Katie laughed and my mama cried when they heard me say "I do"
Her little ring is a little thing, but its all I could afford
Now she's mine, all mine till the day I die, and I never wanted nothin' more"

The sacrament of marriage is very common. Marrying your high school sweetheart is a dream for a lot of people in high school. This does a good job relating to that.



Kenny Chesney seen here sporting a New York Yankees hat. Chesney does a good job relating to the common man through singing about very common issues. He also dresses and acts like a normal guy. Through sports and other similar interests he is able to easily relate. Chesney even produced and co-directed and espn film "The Boys of Fall." In a recent interview with CMT Chesney discusses how he enjoys doing normal things, " I try to do normal things. There was a moment that I did try to paint myself into a little corner and I would not get out of it, and that is not fun. So I try to take everything that I've been blessed with in my life in stride and know that it's going to come with a little bit of [discomfort] every now and then. But for the most part, the blessings totally outweigh the non blessings of being me."Chesney comes off as a very humble person. 


Kenny Chesney donates a lot of his time and money to various organizations. He is a regular performer at farm aid. He even wrote and sang the song "Touchdown Tennessee" for the John Ward Scholarship Fund.  He supports the Brees Dream Foundation founded by Drew Brees here in New Orleans. He is heavily involved in children's charities across the country including, St. Jude Children's Hospital, as well as children charities in East Tennessee.


http://countrymusictattletale.com/2009/09/15/kenny-chesney-not-touring-in-2010/

http://www.drewbrees.com/

http://www.kennychesney.com/home.php

http://www.cmt.com/news/country-music/1687655/kenny-chesney-cmt-insider-interview-first-of-two-parts.jhtml

2 comments:

  1. This blog did a good job of giving background information of the artist, Kenny Chesney. I now feel that I know a lot more than i did to start with. Also, the youtube videos imbedded in the blog itself rather than just links to the site are helpful and i think the reader will be much more likely to watch the videos since they are right there for them. One thing I did notice was the incorrect use of grammer a few times in the blog. Some missing periods and commas, as well as some mistakes such as "children charities" in the last line rather than "children's charities." These were small mistakes though and the overall quality of the blog good: a nice introduction to an artist and I now fell like I can relate to Chesney and feel that he is a humble artist, things I did not know or feel prior to viewing and reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry’s post was really clear and easy to follow. He provided just the right amount of background information on Kenny Chesney without being overwhelming. The use of videos and lyrics really strengthened his argument of Kenny Chesney as a country star and person. I thought it was great that he actually used a quote from Kenny Chesney himself, adding more character to both the musician and the blog. Unfortunately, however, my computer was unable to load the image of Kenny Chesney, so I could not make the connection between the “real person” argument and the picture of him in the baseball hat. All in all I thought this blog was great in really putting a person behind the Kenney Chesney music that I am frequently hearing.

    ReplyDelete