Friday, December 14, 2012

Rucker's Songs in a Sociopolitical Context



"Alright"
Darius Rucker's song "Alright" kind of pokes a little fun at making a big deal of the fancy things that many people in high society admire. To him, the company is more important than the extravagance of what you're doing. The song illustrates the theme of country music that simplicity is best and that as long as you have "all you need" things will be alright. 
Here is both the music video as well as a video that features the lyrics of the song to view. 

As can be seen in the music video for the song, Rucker dresses simply, in his jeans and button down (characteristic of country stars as we have seen).He holds his guitar case as he walks among a sea of people, showing that no matter what others are doing, he is "alright" with his own life and the things that make him happy: a roof over his head and his wife. 
I think that the main message of the song is that as long as you have your loved ones, other aspects of life can take a back seat. 
An audience that I feel would be apt to appreciate this song would be people who may not have million dollar homes and fancy cars, but who are just as happy if not more with the simple lives they are living and are thankful each day for the people in their lives that make it special. 


"Come Back Song"
A parallel that is interesting to draw between the music video for "Alright" and this music video for "Come Back Song" is that in both videos, Rucker spends some of his time on screen walking down an ally way/ street, perhaps symbolizing the journey of life that keeps going. 
This video is filmed in Charleston, Rucker's home town. A lot of the video is filmed on boats or featuring boats, and not luxury motor yachts, perhaps symbolizing the back to nature trope of country. 
Rucker's cowboy boots are shown in this video, authenticating his "countriness" 
Those that may like this song would be anyone who has ever made a mistake in love: giving up someone and then later realizing just how much that person was needed in their life. 
The song is very relatable and makes Rucker seem very humble as he is asking for forgiveness. 


Lyrics to "Come Back Song"

I woke up again this morning
And wouldn't you know it... pouring rain
I went and burned a pot of coffee
And like us I poured it down the drain

'Cause I didn't know I needed you so
And letting you go was wrong
And baby I know you got your radio on
So this is my my bad, come back song

I know I said I wouldn't miss you
But now I'm saying I'm a fool
You're on the feel good side of leaving
And I'm the backside of a mule

And I didn't know I needed you so
And letting you go was wrong
And baby I know you got your radio on
So this is my so sad, come back song

And now I'm laying down without you
In this king size empty bed
And I wish I had my arms around you
But I'll just dream of you instead

'Cause I didn't know I needed you so
And letting you go was wrong
And baby I know you got your radio on
So this is my get packed, come back

Hey, I didn't know I needed you so
And letting you go and letting you go was wrong
And baby I know you got your radio on
So this is my my bad, come back song

Oh yeah yeah

I know I said I wouldn't miss you
I said I wouldn't miss you girl, yeah

Na na na na na na na
Na na na na na na na
Na na na na na na na

We all sang na na na na na na na
Na na na na na na na
Na na na na na na na, yeah

Come on now

This is my my bad, come back song

No comments:

Post a Comment